Re: Challenges in human rights education participatory methodologies

Thank you Theresa for giving us these practical insights into the clear
participatory case for engaging different groups - and for the need to
respond flexibly with various media tools; visual, print, etc., to
changing, sensitive or perhaps unknown social practices or circumstances.

If you don't mind, I'd like to follow-up with two questions:  do you think
proper social disclosure of prevailing practices can better inform and
perhaps influence the methodology design so as to maximize desirable
outcomes?  It would be nice to first arrive at a better understanding of
the perceptions (or misperceptions) of the targeted group about human
rights education first and fashion the tools afterwards.  By talking to
the various members of the group through open consultations, workshops, or
interviews, the reasons that may lead some members to reject or dismiss
the messages later could become clear.  And with that knowledge in hand,
one can then adapt and shape their methods and solutions to deliver that
message in, if you will, a friendlier or culturally-sensitive manner.

This brings me to the second question: would it have been possible to
arrive at these beneficial insights if such disclosures had not preceded
the design of the tools and methods?  From experience, I find that
permanent disclosure with the members of the targeted group builds trust
that is necessary to properly address certain social concerns that may or
will arise during training workshops.  And if trust was not available, the
best intentions and solutions offered may fall on deaf ears if not create
tension between the "teacher" and "student".

Osama M. Rajkhan
Social Affairs Officer and Human Rights Focal Point
Population and Social Integration Section
Emerging Social Issues Division
United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and Pacific
Bangkok, Thailand
Tel: (66-2) 288-1845, Fax: (66-2) 288-1030
Email: rajkhan.unescap@un.org