Re: Human rights/children's rights values

Hi all,

I would like to express my appreciation of what you all wrote under this
topic and stress the importance of what Sainabou Jaye wrote on linking
human rights values to a certain cultural situation. This is crucial
especially when working in places like the Middle East and North Africa.
Though I do agree with many of you also that culture is not a static
entity and that it is ever changing, but that does not in any case imply
an evolution towards enhanced values or values more or less the same as
universal human rights values. Moreover, religious values have a high
impact on culture and the formulation of its values as well as the
dynamics of change and presents one major player in this discussion. Note
that many cultures may exist under the umbrella of one religion, yet a set
of unchanging values may persist amongst them, added to these may be some
culturally variable values. What may be one of the main challanges is the
way we approach those unchanging values, think and let think of them, and
at the same avoiding patronizing people believing in them. It is the hell
of a hard job but someone has to do it, most probably, you!

Kindly find below a link to a very nice article recently puplished in
Harvard Human Rights Journal by Naz K. Modirzadeh, "Taking Islamic Law
Seriously: INGOs and the Battle for Muslim Hearts and Minds",
http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/hrj/iss19/modirzadeh.shtml

Best,

Mazen Jaber
HRE Information Officer
Regional Office for Middle East/North Africa Amnesty International
Makarem Bldg.- Michael Angelo St.- Raouche
P.O.Box: 13- 5696 Chouran Beirut 1102-2060 Beirut, Lebanon
Tel: 961-1-805664/3
Fax: 961-1-805665
Website: http://ara.amnesty.org
Email: <        >

READ MAWARED, THE HUMAN RIGHTS EDUCATION MAGAZINE AT:
http://ara.amnesty.org/pages/2d2-170306-editorial-ara

ACT NOW FOR HUMAN RIGHTS!
Take action now at:
http://www.amnesty.org/actnow

Support the "Control Arms" Campaign - Sign the Million Faces Petition

Visit: http://www.controlarms.org