Teaching for Freedom project in Ghana

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL - GHANA
TEACHING FOR FREEDOM (TFF) HRE PROJECT

The Teaching For Freedom (TFF) Project is a partnership programme between
Amnesty International - Ghana and Amnesty International - Norway.

The project undertakes activities in twenty secondary schools and ten
Teacher Training Colleges - two and one respectively in each administrative
region of Ghana. These activities include the formation of human rights
clubs in second cycle schools and organising induction courses for final
year teacher trainees in training colleges. The induction courses for
teacher trainees cover issues like Human Rights Concepts, Principles of
Human Rights Education, Teaching Strategies, and Peer Teaching Practices on
Human Rights aspects of the Constitution of the Republic of Ghana.

The general aims of the partnership are to build human rights awareness
against violations and to recruit a new generation of  human rights
activists who will contribute towards a society where basic human rights
are respected. The main focus are the youth in second cycle schools and
final year teacher trainees.  The work with second cycle schools involves
the formation and monitoring of human rights clubs while that for teacher
training colleges involves organizing induction courses for final year
students.

It is the desire of the stake holders of this project that in the very near
future, human rights education would become part of the curriculum of our
schools.  If this does happen, then Ghana would be on the path to creating
a generation of democratic citizens who will have a high regard for human
rights, and freedoms  in their attempts to bring about growth and development.

Response from participants (teachers and students) has been overwhelming in
support of the programme.  There have been calls on the project by the
beneficiaries to endeavour to explore ways of continuing the project for
succeeding batches to benefit.  Other institutions (colleges/schools)
currently not covered by the TFF Project have been requesting for their
inclusion.  However, due to our limited financial resources we have not
been able to heed to such requests.

Teaching For Freedom has so far trained over 1,500 teachers on HRE who are
currently teaching at the basic levels of our school system in various
communities. The School Clubs activities have also exposed over 2,000
students to issues of human rights through debates, drama, talk symposia
and club meetings.

Through the project,the Ministry of Education and other educational
authorities have open their doors to HRE issues who hitherto we found
difficult to contact on such matters.  The activities of the TFF Project
have demystified the notion that human rights issues were the prerogative
of only lawyers and politicians in our society.  The students and teacher
trainees as well as the school authorities benefiting from TFF have drawn
closer and identified with human rights issues.

We must add that, much as we would have wished to extend our activities, we
have not been able to go beyond the pilot schools.  Currently we are
producing teaching manuals for the teachers on the field.  This was
developed through collecting the work of the teacher trainees and
synthesizing this into the manual.  Other manuals produced include training
manuals for the Regional Liaison Officers and School Club
Patrons.  Certificates have also always been presented to participants of
the induction courses as a morale booster.

The project term is November 1996 - December 1999.  Funding from Norway
ceases in December, 1999.  Extending our activities beyond this period will
afford us opportunity to reach a bigger population and also enable us
continue our discussions with the educational authorities towards the
achievement of our ultimate goal - introducing HRE in our school curricula.

Hopefully, if human rights education becomes an integral part of the
curriculum, the project would still continue to run its programmes albeit a
few changes.  The existence of the Teaching for Freedom Project will go a
long way to help in the promotion of the human rights ideals of the
Constitution of Ghana.

Issah Fuseini
Project Co-ordinator
&