Re: Requesting teaching resources about violence against women

The first novel that comes to my mind is El tiempo de las mariposas, which
is translated to English, The Time of the Butterflies, written by Julia
Alvarez (and is also on film with Salma Hayek).  This is a book about the
Mirabal sisters from the Dominican Republic, a group of four sisters who
opposed the dictatorship of Trujillo.  The day that three of the sisters
were killed, Nov. 25, is celebrated internationally as the International
Day Againts Violence Towards Women.

Maria del Rocio Costa
mrcosta@earthlink.net
http://www.uprb.edu/profesor/mrocio

Puede que dios haya creado al hombre antes que a la mujer,
pero recuerden, siempre se hace un borrador antes de la obra de arte...

"God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece"

On 3/26/2004 9:09:44 AM  Nancy Flowers wrote:

> In preparation for a summer institute on teaching about violence against
> women, Amnesty International-USA's Western Region Human Rights Educators
> Network is compiling a list of literature, films and videos appropriate
> for high school and college class room use:
>
> 		novels and short stories
> 		essays and articles
> 		plays
> 		poems
> 		videos, films, and
> 		songs and other forms of music.
>
> We would welcome suggestions in English or Spanish from other educators!

======== North American Human Rights Education listserv ========
Send mail intended for the list to <hr-education-na@hrea.org>.
Archives of the list can be found at:
http://www.hrea.org/lists/hr-education-na/markup/maillist.php
If you have problems (un)subscribing, contact
<owner-hr-education-na@hrea.org>.